Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

The last thoughts for this week

I'm feeling a little lighter today. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I'm all family-wamily lately and that I got to meet my long lost cousins, but to go from not seeing the family for years to seeing all the Loo's every single day for one week was a bit too much. It was an overdose of the Loo's. My boogie monsters were happy and having a party with margaritas out there. And as a result, I've been having restless dreams every night for more than a week now.

So when I dropped off the last Loo at her apartment this morning, I was feeling a little lighter and a little Loo-less. It has been a terribly tiring hectic week. A terrible hectic month. Made me think of a lot of things.

When I die, I do not, do not, do not want a Chinese funeral. This is what I want.

  1. I'm not a strong Christian believer but I still want a Christian funeral.
  2. Should be only one day thing. I don't know that many people anyway.
  3. I want people to know that it's okay to laugh and make jokes at my funeral. I want people to be happy instead of sad
  4. I want a photo slide show of my life. Please use the song "All of Me" by Jon Schmidt. Maybe even add in the video of my funky wedding dance just for the fun of it. ;)
  5. I want a nice little speech at the end
  6. There should be a small buffet line of egg and smoked salmon sandwiches. Ooooo... and laksa. We can't go without my laksa right. And also chendol la.
  7. And I want a nice photo of me to be displayed. If you used my passport or driving license photo or particularly my U.S. visa photo, I will come back and haunt you.

The past one week has made me love the hubby even more. My sister and I were sitting at the corner observing him talking to all the grand-aunties. He flashed his award winning granny smile, so shinning that my sister said she was blinded for 2 seconds. When my dad came back later for the funeral, he was hearing all the "good boy" stories about the hubby. I'm only wondering why I don't ever get that shinny smile from the hubby which apparently only reserved for aunties above the age of 50. Cheh.

But seriously, the hubby was so charming to the family, it put me and the sister to shame. I wonder what magical parenting formula my parents-in-law used to produce such a family-oriented son.

I'm worried about my grandma. My biggest fear in life is to lose the hubby. Imagine living with someone for almost 70 years then wake up one day to see his favourite chair next to yours empty, never to be filled again. And because of that empty chair, life becomes empty as well.

Also, I think the Chinese might have gotten it a little wrong. Prosperity, Longevity and Wealth may be important. But having all three does not guarantee Happiness.

And to me that's the most important. Isn't it?

10 comments:

nUtZ said...

Gosh! I love your hubby even more. He's a natural Grand Aunt magnet. I do hope that when I make my way home for CNY, he'll be around for the family functions. :)

Pig said...

Mindy, sorry I only read these posts today. Sorry for the passing of your grandpa. I'm certain his life now is much more fun then here! :D

Everything in our life happens for reasons that we may not fathom at the point of occurrence. Most of the time we moan and groan; complain and sulk when we are going through it. But when we really look back and play those scenes again, you might just find out why you were taught that precious lessons. To the least, you are who you are today and attracted such a wonderful husband...and both of you will then begin a whole new family which is definitely not going to be anywhere near the one you had in the past :)

Soo Huey said...

hey, so when you turn 50, will he start flashing you granny smiles? and since he'd be old too, will he have old man teeth shinning through his granny smiles? haha! kinda cute! ;-)

Mindy said...

Thanks a lot Pig. It's been a week of lessons and a week to reflect.

And Soo Huey, when I turn 50, the hubby will also be 50. By that time, he'll be saving his shinny old man smiles for girls in their 20's instead. ;)

Mindy said...

It's gonna take more than a free lunch to get him to go all the way to Perth. A lot of whinny, sulking and naggy from me before he is willing. ;)

Mindy said...

Hahaha... passport photo not as bad as the U.S. visa photo. That was terrible.

Looking forward to meeting ya.

Mindy said...

Why not? Rather than have a Buddhist funeral when I'm not Buddhist at all.

When I said I'm not a "strong Christian", it means that I don't go to church and I don't read the Bible regularly. But it doesn't mean that I don't believe. I once did very strongly... just not as much now.

Soo Huey said...

ok.. as long as u believe. coz if not, i'd just go with a non-religious funeral. if i do go with a religious funeral, the main n possibly only reason for that would be to help my close ones grieve. there's something about chanting/singing/faith that helps them come to terms, but otherwise, i wouldn't bother with all that human worldly fanfare.

Soo Huey said...

what i'm trying to say is that i wasn't implying you should have a buddhist one, but that funerals should be however u want it and not necessarily religious.

Mindy said...

I agree. I'll rather have a non-religious funeral than to have one which I do not believe in. I do not believe in doing something just because everybody has been doing it for generations. To me, I need to understand why I'm doing it. I don't care whether it's done for centuries, I still need to understand it. This is something I feel strongly about which I always tell the hubby. You need to understand your own religion and not just follow whatever your parents tell you. Because when our parent's generation pass on, then who's going to tell you what to do?

As for a Christian funeral, I still would want it. I used to be very strong Christian believer, but my belief has been shaken by lots of questions over the years. But I still would like to end with me still believing... even for a little.

:)