Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's my birthday today... Woo Hoo?

Normally birthdays are a big thing to me. Since I was a kid, birthdays meant a lot of me. Maybe it's because it's a day I receive presents and a birthday cake. Or maybe it's because it's the day I feel like the most special person in the world. Or maybe it was because it was the day I felt my parents loved me a little more.

And all this while, I always looked forward to my birthday. One or two months before my birthday, I'll start bugging Yin How, "Watcha gonna buy for me?", giving him my best puppy look eyes.

It's different this year. I'm starting to feel like I'm running out of time to do the things that I want to do. It's an reminder that I've been stuck in one place for too long. It's an indication that I'm restless to move on to the next stage of my life.

I didn't even remember that my birthday was coming until somebody wished me Happy Birthday on Facebook two days in advance. And for the first time, I chose to come to work instead of taking a day off.

So anyway... when I woke up thinking that if I almost forgot about my own birthday, the whole world, except my bank and insurance company, would forget as well.. Heard my handphone ringing with messages early in the morning and was happy to find it was a friend instead.

Came to work there was a pretty handmade birthday card waiting for me. And it was made in brown knowing that brown is my favourite color. Received birthday calls/messages from friends (one all the way from China) and my sister. Even more on Facebook. And a slice of yummy cake from colleagues.




Feeling a bit more happier.... but WAIT.....

Has the hubby wished me happy birthday yet???? *dramatic background music*



I woke up in the morning looking for a birthday card (no matter whether it's rainy or sunny or whether the whole earth is coming to an end, it's compulsory for the hubby to get me a birthday card). Not only was there no birthday card, but there was no hubby sleeping next to me. *Gasp*. He was sleeping on the sofa outside and didn't wake up when I left for work

Somewhere in the background I heard someone yelling.... STRIKE ONE!

At work, I called him to ask him whether he was feeling well (also secretly hoping he'll remember my birthday), since he looked a little sick on the sofa. He said he was feeling a little unwell in the morning but was okay now. I waited a while giving him a chance to wish me happy birthday.... but he didn't.


STRIKE TWO!

He called back again. I was thinking... he finally remembered. He went on talking about his colleague's birthday this Friday. His tenant at his other house. And some other stuff at work. Still no happy birthday.

STRIKE THREE!

Even an optical shop where I purchased a pair of glass 4 years ago and never went back remembered to send me an birthday sms... Geez, what is wrong with the HUBBY??


Rule number 1. Never forget a woman's birthday. She may forget about it herself, but it's no excuse for the man.
Rule number 2. A woman has an excellent memory when it comes to tracking of how strikes a man made.


The time is 2:15pm. Let's see how many strikes he is gonna get by the end of the day. 

(BTW, I secretly thinks that he remembers my birthday but is purposely acting like he forgot to annoy me. But if he really has forgotten, it's not a big deal... I think... however with the excellent memory a woman has been blessed with, it's certain that this will be brought up again and again for many years to come)

;)


*****Update*****

After 5pm with no Happy Birthday wishes from the hubby, I received a call from him, "Black or White shoe?"

"Huh?"

"Black or White shoe??" sounding more embarrassed now...

Apparently the hubby confidently went into Vincci wanting to buy me the pair of shoes which I mentioned I liked last weekend. But of course, nothing in life can be that simple. So of course the shoe which I said I liked had sold out. And suddenly the hubby was standing in Vincci surrounded by hundreds of shoes of different types and colors to choose from.

He ended up calling me numerous times, and sending me photos of different shoes before he chose one to buy for me. So much for a surprise huh.

But picturing him helpless and alone in a woman's shoe shop trying to buy me a pair of shoes is already the present itself. I was touched. :)

7 comments:

Pig said...

May God bless his poor soul and have mercy!! LOLx!!!

He's probably getting the doggies to help him with the homemade b'day cake! LOLx

chiaoju said...

Awwww... I'm guessing he's got some surprises up his sleeves for u. *wink*.

Happy birthday babe. I hope you will have an awesome birthday celebration (in spite of the rainy weather) with your hubby. *cheers*

Soma said...

That's so sweet of YH 8)

chiaoju said...

awww... =)

i would have been touched as well. hehehe... guess it was a great bday after all. *teehee*

Soo Huey said...

lol. i thot maybe he was on the sofa coz while u were asleep he snuck out to prepare some birthday surprise for you, and coz he stayed awake most of the night glueing stuff together (or whatever he was doing in my imagination), he was too exhausted to wake up when u left for work in the morning!

maybe he really was doing all that... except it didnt work out, so he didnt end up giving it to you.

so did he remember all along, or did he only remember later in the day?

hope u had a good birthday! i like birthdays too, not just mine but everyone else's as well, coz i think its a reason to treat someone special n everyone needs to be special for AT LEAST one day a year. ;):) i make it a point to remember birthdays, especially of faraway friends, because it is a reminder to look them up seeing you've neglected them for 364 days of the year.

Tan Shu-Yin said...

u shd have mentioned MORE things which u like a few days b4 ur bday...so that he has got CHOICE on what to buy u :)
or maybe he will buy u ALL! :)

Pig said...

so tsweeettt :D