Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

2 books and a green tomato

Book 1: The Memory Keeper's Daughter



A story about a couple during the 60's. Husband was a doctor, wife was a typical wife of the 60's. Wife was in labour with twins and when husband saw that his baby daughter had Down Syndrome, he asked the nurse to take the baby away and lied to his wife that the daughter died. The story goes on from there.

I enjoyed the book, though I was kinda expecting a more dramatic ending.



Book 2: A Thousand Splendid Suns



I loved this book. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I know I'm loving a book when I read it until late into the night, then wake up the next morning and continue reading it before even getting out of bed. The last time I loved a book so much was Marley and Me.

The Kite Runner revolved around the relationship between 2 Afghanistan boys and this time the author wanted a story about 2 Afghanistan women. The story resolves around two women with very different backgrounds who found themselves in a unlikely beautiful relationship due to the twist of circumstances. The book gives a picture of the sufferings of Afghanistan women living under the terrible Taliban era. Their pain, their desperation, their fight to cling on and survive.

All I can say, I'm glad I'm a woman here and not there. Read the book and you'll start counting your blessings as well.



And not forgetting of my precious growing green tomato. If the doggies want to live long lives, THEY BETTER NOT TOUCH MY TOMATO.


10 comments:

Mindy said...

I've put some wire netting around my plants. But it can't really stop them if they are determine to get to the tomato. I don't think they will disturb my tomato because the tomato plant has a certain smell. Doggies prefer to eat my pak choy instead.

Genny said...

haha... i can imagine mastermind Russell formulating his evil Tomato Operation with his evil minion Sparkle.... =D

Soo Huey said...

"don't think they will disturb my tomato because the tomato plant has a certain smell"

I was gonna say maybe that's why both Mei Ying and I don't like tomatos! But then both you and Shu-Yin are doggies too, so kinda wrecks that theory... xD

Mindy said...

The tomato plant has a stinkier smell compared to the actual tomato. If you touch the plant, the smell will stay on your fingers.

And the tomato is much bigger now. It's fascinating how much a tomato can grow each day. I'll be more excited when it starts turning red. :)

And I don't know whether I would have the heart to eat my tomato leh. It's so PRECIOUS. Buying it from the supermarket and actually growing it from the seeds makes you see the tomato differently. So much effort make into watering and looking after the plant, watching it grow from the tiny seeds. (Actually most of the work is done by Yin How, but I have declared that the tomato belongs to me).

I can't believe I'm talking so much about a tomato. Hahaha...

Soo Huey said...

Hey, if not mistaken, tomatoes can grow much much bigger than the ones we usually see in the markets.

The tomatoes in my share hse in USA grew crazily big after a spell of rain. We were talking about it w some friends and a guy who has a farm in his family home says that is how they are... They can absorb water like crazy, so need to control the amount of water. If it gets too big, you get a huge tomato without much taste.

Telling you coz don't want yours to get too big before it gets ripe. Is your tomato exposed to rain? Maybe wanna remove it so doesn't get too much water?

Mindy said...

My tomato plant is in my balcony, doesn't get much rain. It's a pot so I'm not sure how big the plant can grow. I'll tell Yin How not to water the plant too much then.

Soo Huey said...

Now I'm afraid he won't water them enough and it'll be my fault! :S

Erm... I'm not an authority on plants. I tend to kill them. So please do whatever you/YH feel is right. :$

Maybe water them as usual, but watch out that it doesn't get too big?

Mindy said...

hahaha... Yin How likes to water the plants until the water overflows from the pots and unto the balcony. So I'll just let him know not to over do it with the tomato plant.

lee ping said...

I love "Thousands Splendid Suns" too!! Reasing Khaled Hossini's books always make my nose turned red..
But what I read is the mandarin translated version, it would take me months to finish reading an English novel :P

Mindy said...

I didn't know there was a mandarin version of the book. :)

I loved it. One of my most favourite books besides Marley and Me, and The Time Traveller's Wife.