Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Life lessons from Morrie

I'm currently reading Tuesdays with Morrie again. The first time I read it was when I was just out of college, a fresh graduate too busy chasing so many things at that time and I only read the book halfway and tossed it aside where it got lost under my bed.

6 years after graduation, 2 jobs, a wedding and a new home later, I'm finding time to read again. And I found this little book hidden among the books in my bookshelf.

I wish I could see the world as how Morrie sees it. I realize that all he says is true, yet I still to continue to hang on to things which are not important. I only hope that as I grow older, I'm be able to let go of certain things and cherish the things which are really important in life.

These are some of my favourite quotes from Morrie.

“Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it.” (p. 18)

“So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” (p. 43)

“I don’t allow myself any more self-pity than that. A little each morning, a few tears, and that’s all . . . . It’s horrible to watch my body slowly wilt away to nothing. But it’s also wonderful because of all the time I get to say goodbye.” (p. 57)




“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.” (p. 52)

“What if today were my last day on earth?” (p. 64)

“Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” (p. 82)

There is no foundation, no secure ground, upon which people may stand today if it isn’t the family. (p. 91)

“Don’t cling to things, because everything is impermanent.” (p. 103)

“ . . . If you’ve found meaning in your life you don’t want to go back. You want to go forward. You want to see more, do more. You can’t wait until sixty-five.” (p. 118)

“Money is not a substitute for tenderness, and power is not a substitute for tenderness.” (p. 125)

“ . . . love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone.” (p. 133)

“ . . . the big things—how we think, what we value—those you must choose yourself. You can’t let anyone--or any society—determine those for you.” (p. 155)



Be compassionate. And take responsibility for each other. If we only learned those lessons, this world would be so much better a place.” (p. 163)

3 comments:

Tan Shu-Yin said...

I also just finished reading this book not long ago (chiaoju lent it to me)....and I find myself hanging on to things that is not important too.
I hope one day I will be like Morrie too.

Let's work hard on this together!

chiaoju said...

love this book so much. read them thrice. always cry in the end. it's rather sad to see how few of us actually practices these lessons -- me included sometimes.

i remember there's another one; if you haven't love, you haven't live. and then there's another one where he talks about asking a little bird if today's the day you die and how would u react to it if it was.

i love morrie. i love how he has learned to live his life. i love how he embraces death and how he throw himself a funeral before he even died and how he chooses the place he want to be buried.

thanks for blogging about it. perhaps i should read it again.

Mindy said...

Just finished the book last night. Sometimes we can't see what's important and need someone to tell us. And the trouble is we don't always listen.

I may read it again one day, just to remind myself about all the lessons that this little book has to offer. :)