Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Favourite Movies

Had dinner with the girls and we were having this long debate over how I like The Kite Runner movie and how much they hated it. And then they asked me which movies are my favourite (because they no longer trust my taste in movies), I went blank.

I always know which are my favourite books, never thought about movies. I love books because you get to know the characters in books personally, their thoughts, their emotions, their relationship bonds. Unlike movies where you only get to know the character for 2 hours. Spent the whole drive back home thinking about what my favourite movies are.

I think my all time favourite is The Band of Brothers. I loved that mini series because it's based on true events and they interview the real life people whom the characters are based on at the beginning and the end of each movie. I like movies like these because it makes me aware of what other people in the world go through or went through making my own problems seem so small in comparison. I won't say it's my favourite but I liked Slumdog Millionaire as well, not so much because of the story line (which I didn't like the predictable happy ending), but for opening my eyes to the living conditions in India.

I guess the Kite Runner wasn't the greatest movie. Probably if I had read the book first, I would have hated the movie (like how I almost hate every movie after reading the book). But again, it was an eye opener to me on the sufferings of the Afghanistan people. It made me go out and buy A Thousand Splendid Suns which is now one of my all time favourite books.

Other favourite movies,

The Rock, Enemy At the Gates, Atonement, Pride and Prejudice, Shrek 1 & 2..... that's all I can think of right now.

What's yours?

6 comments:

MY Public Mutual Experience said...

My all time favourite movie is 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'. LOVED it. :) And NO I don't LOVE that movie just coz Brad Pitt is in it. :P

Mindy said...

And that movie is not slow???? That movie was so slow, Yin How fell asleep within 15 minutes!

Surely it's because of seeing Brad Pitt getting younger and younger. Makes you more and more excited as the movie progresses. :P

MY Public Mutual Experience said...

The movie just really touched me. And no it wasn't just because I was excited to see him get younger and younger. :P

I love 'Mr and Mrs Smith' too. And 'The Lakehouse'.

Mindy said...

Lakehouse the one with Sandra Bullock right? I didn't watch that. 'Mr and Mrs Smith' is one of Yin How's favourite. You like that movie for Brad Pitt as well! :P

MY Public Mutual Experience said...

Well, all that I can say is that Brad Pitt makes good movies.

Ya. The Lakehouse is a very sweet love story. LOVED it.

Mindy said...

Oh... I like the bucket list too!~ Sixth sense wasn't so good for me because while watching the show my fried told me, "you know he is a ghost right?"

Never really watched the shawshank redemption.