Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Falling Leaves

Weekend was great. Rested for 4 days. Met up with the fish. Lunch and dinner with a leng chai with rosy cheeks. Finished an awesome book.


I really do love this book. Thank you Shu-Yin for lending it to me. Falling Leaves is a true story of an unwanted Chinese daughter, how she had nothing and became something in life. Unlike the author in Wild Swans who endured the Cultural Revolution in China, the author of this book fled from China before the Communist took over. However, her childhood was so sad and I was touched by the story of her life. There were some parts of the book which reminded me a little about my own boogie family and I can totally relate to the pain she felt during the last chapter. I love the beautiful Chinese proverbs she used in each chapter which described what she was going through so well.

I guess there are a lot of boogie families out there huh. This book is a wonderful read. :)


6 comments:

Catherine said...

Sounds interesting.. I wanna read! :P

pat said...

the fish la... ur sis's bf rite?
i've been followin ur post about the fish and the interviews... then when u finally meet him.. dat's all u wrote about??? adui!

Mindy said...

Hahaha... the fish is my friend who is working in China. I haven't met my future baby-brother-in-law yet. They are still in Texas. Though, they will be coming home soon. :)

Tan Shu-Yin said...

mindy...glad u like the book. next book to lend u will be Empress Orchid. Maybe another eye opener for u coz it's bout the ancient chinese kingdom days...empress n king n concubines. if u havent read any books bout it...it shd be an interesting read for u too ;)

and will lend u kite runner as well the next time we meet ;)

so when are we meeting up? :P

p/s-i havent finished reading ur eat pray love yet!

Mindy said...

Great, because I really really need another book to read. I've run out of books and Leo bookstore was closed on Monday when I went there.

I did love the book. I read it in 3 days. I must find you to get more books.

We meet up in October la. :)

thefishdiary said...

hahaha... :)

she will tell us more if it's about the baby sister's bf :) will ya?

btw, me too running out of book to read, will check this one out!