Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

The newest hangouts in Penang

Like a typical Penangnite, I went to see the two new malls opened this weekend.

If you have not gone to Straits Quay yet, you have to go there. I remember when I was in San Francisco, I was wishing that Penang had a classy place to hang out like the one I went to. I remember being absolutely in love this that place my colleagues took me to. It was a place with restaurants and shoppings and a wonderful area outside to hangout. A Jazz musician at a corner hoping to get a buck or two if you felt his music was good. A man and his absolutely gorgoues golden retreiver at a bench, enjoying the evening. An old couple dancing together to the music. And the whole place was dimly, beautifully light.

Straits Quay is so much classier than that place I visited in San Francisco though you probably won't be seeing any golden retrievers there. Our little Penang island has reached another status now.

Girls, the next time we have dinner together, we are going to Straits Quay. We are going to dine beside the sea front. :)

I took a few photos with the Blackberry. It was raning so photos aren't that good. I'm sure lots of people have upload better photos. But anyway, these are the blur ones I took.





Smidapaper is there, Shu-Yin, you'll be happy.


After Straits Quay, I went to 1 Avenue. Just another shopping mall. I like the design of how to get up to Floor 8 though. That's cool. And on that floor, there's a balcony where you can enjoy the view of Georgetown.



I was trying to imagine what it would be like if all these places were around when the hubby and I first dated. During our paktoh days, there was only Pragin Mall, then later Gurney Plaza. Maybe the skinny teenage boy would have taken me up to the 8th floor of 1st Avenue for a romantic night of enjoying the view. And he might have saved a whole month of his allowance to bring me to Straits Quay for a dinner. And I would have been the giggly teenage girl thinking, "Wah... my boyfriend is so "man" ah". ;)

There is a lot to love about this little island. And once the Tanjung Seri Pinang and the Light Collection project is completed, our little island of ours is going to be even more awesome!~~~~

3 comments:

Tan Shu-Yin said...

Is Straits Quay in the E&O reclaimed land place? Same road to take like going to the nice nice hses?

yay...heard that blue reef has a new branch in straits quay. and im sure has many other eateries and cafes there.

yay...wanna go there next round. and next round better be quick. hehe

Mindy said...

Ya, it's the same road to the nice nice house.

I saw a baking shop called Sugar. I think you would love that as well.

Yup, I saw Blue Reef. Lots of new coming restaurant.

chiaoju said...

Yea.. the owner of Sugar is the lady that does the cupcakes on the love-a-cupcake website. =)