Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Sire

I usually don't write about restaurants I go to because I'm too lazy. But today I was talking about The Sire with colleagues so decided to share some photos of it.

The Sire is a museum restaurant at the house where Yeap Chor Ee used to stay (I got mixed up with Cheong Fatt Tze heritage mansion which is another place in Penang open to the public). The people behind The Sire are the same people from the Ferringhi Garden, another absolutely gorgeous romantic restaurant at Batu Ferringhi (so gorgeous I almost wanted to change my wedding venue to that restaurant).

Anyway, back to The Sire, the food there is good but a little pricey. The restaurant is really charming with a wonderful cosy ambiance and after the meal, you can go over to see the museum section where you get to see some of the personal belongings of Yeap Chor Ee's family. What amazed me was that from the outside, the restaurant looks so small, but as you explore the museum, you'll find that it's much bigger than it seems.

When I saw the antique stuff there, I started imagining what it was like to live in that era. Then I started wondering whether a century from now, will they be displaying laptops and ipods and LCD TVs in a museum where people will point and say "I can't imagine living in that century".

Also, there are pictures of Yeap Chor Ee's humongous mansion (now donated to Wawasan University). If I lived in that mansion, whenever Yin How pisses me off, I'd just run off and hide in one of the gazillion rooms there and Yin How would never be able to find me. Ha!

I went The Sire twice last year. And I had a great time during both occasions. But honestly I wouldn't really go back unless I'm bringing somebody there who has never been there before. Because this is the kind of restaurant where you pay more for the environment rather than the food so once you've seen the museum, there's nothing much left to make me want to go back again and again.

Enough yapping.... here are the photos. We are only allowed to take photos of the restaurant and not the museum (but I curi-curi took a few photos until Yin How scolded me).


























2 comments:

Soo Huey said...

i wanted to suggest this place for our girls night out on 4th Apr (the thread in FB), but was afraid ppl will its too pricey, so didnt. how was the food? over-priced coz of atmosphere, but nice? meat nicely cooked, flavours pleasant n complementary etc?

Mindy said...

The food is good. I wouldn't say it's super delicious. The pasta starts from RM16 I think. Other meals are around ~RM30.

And I wouldn't say it's over priced (like 32 Mansion or Bagan). But it's still a little pricey compared to other regular restaurants because you're paying for the atmosphere.