Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Penang or Butterworth?

We all know that Penang people are extremely proud and passionate about their local food and are willing to debate why Penang has the best food in Malaysia. We take our food hunting seriously, a favourite past time during the weekends. The hubby and I were talking about it and this question popped up.

We of course believe Penang has the best food, but which has better food, Penang island or Penang mainland? He is from the mainland, I'm from the island so we were debating about this for awhile and agreed on the following.

Laksa - Penang. Nobody in the world can deny this.

Bah Kut Teh - Butterworth

Char Keow Teow - The hubby insists it's Butterworth. I don't believe any Char Keow Teow can be better than Gurney Drive's, my all time favourite. He'll get me the proof next week.

Beef Noodles - Definitely Butterworth. Heng Choon Thien road. I used to cross the bridge just to have a bowl and come back.

Tom Yam noodles - Butterworth. In Chai Leng park. Really nice wan wor. I usually drink up all the soup and don't feel uncomfortably thirsty after that or have my ass burning in the toilet the next day.

Cendol - Penang

Ais Kacang - Penang

Choo Char - I have to say Butterworth since there's far more over there

Duck rice - Hong Kong. :)

As for Hokkien Mee, Curry Mee and Wan Tan Mee, I'm not crazy over them, so can't comment.

Duck Meat Koew Teow - Yin How insist it's Butterworth, the one he goes to every Sunday morning to get a free bowl. I don't dare to disagree (because it's my mother-in-law's stall :P). BTW, if you want to see Yin How in action as a professional waiter, go to the Seberang Jaya market food court on Sunday mornings. Very good business wan okay. (must help to promote a bit).

Nasi Lemak - Penang (but I don't really go hunting for Nasi Lemak in Butterworth, so not a fair answer)



Disagree if you want. But have proof to back it up. :)

Conclusion, the hubby and I agree that Penang island will win when it comes to better food, though it might be because the island is a more popular destination and therefore the food there is more "choot miah" compare to the mainland.

P/s - I know that people from the island very rarely go to the mainland. There's really a lot of good food there as well, so if you're a food hunter, you really should hunt over there as well. And now with GPS, you really have no excuse not to.

7 comments:

jeanne said...

before heading to my bed, i have to make some noise on this, "char koey teow" butterworth bestest. Either the one in inderawasih (yeah, unbelievable ler), or the one in BM.

hmm... kinda hungry, how to sleep now?

Mindy said...

This is a topic that only people from Butterworth will reply. :P

When you say the one in BM, izit the one with duck egg? Only one stall by the road side izit? If so, I tried that one before and it's super oily leh. I remember that I tapoa once and the oil soaked through the paper wrapping.

jeanne said...

haha...

Er, there is another stall with duck egg(heard that they are brothers). Either one, i think they are equally oily. Perhaps i'm a little on the unhealthy side. But, it's unfair to judge the food which you tried from dabao. (since u are near, try the inderawasih too~)

and and, rojak & ham chim peng in raja uda best too.

gosh, u r making me homesick dy.

Soo Huey said...

after trying noodles in cambodia, chiangmai and vietnam... i don't really think penang can say that its food is so so nice. i think some of the soup noodles in cambodia, north thailand n vietnam are nicer. the thai-style fried flat noodles 'pad thai' is also on par with char koey teow.

of course, they are all different n Penang noodles have their own unique identity, but i think penang food is over-rated.

Mindy said...

Pig: You need to get off the island and wander around the mainland. Go to either Chai Leng Park, Raja Uda or BM for good food. :)

Jeanne: I'll ask hubby where in inderawasih. I don't remember any stalls there wor, only dominoes pizza. The only time I go over to inderawasih is to go to SSF and the pasar malam on Saturdays. :)

Soo Huey: I don't really like Vietnamese food. I find it a little blend, not enough taste to it. I'll believe that food is Thailand is good since I'm such a tomyam lover. :)

cylooi said...

Oh a food post, makes me craving for more... :P
Bakuteh - are you refering butterworth in general or a specific store? I know Chee Keong is obsessed with one store behind Megamall. The served a special dry bakuteh :)
Beef noddle - you need to try one that is opposite of jetty, it is very good!
Technically, i think Penang mainland has better food

Mindy said...

I'll ask Yin How about the stall behind Megamall. I haven't tried that one before.

Which beef noodles opposite the jetty? I know there's fish head noodles there but don't remember beef noodles. Will ask you about it. :)