Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Back in the office

I'm back at work. And you know what? I was actually looking forward to going back to work. I even started thinking about work yesterday, planning which SPRs I was going to fix.

I know what you are saying. Yes, you.. and you... and you at the back there. You are all thinking the same thing. So everybody, all together now say, "SIAO WAN!!" (translation: you crazy nut case, how could you be happy going back to work during CNY?).

But wait, let me explain why I'm so happy to be at work.

While you out there are sweating your balls out in this damn freaking it's-so-hot-I-could-die weather..... I'm enjoying the cold office air-conditioning, so cold that I may even have to wear a cardigan.

While you out there are stuck in an hour-long traffic jam at Gurney Drive..... I'm driving at 90 on the highway, reaching work in 10 minutes.

While you out there are circling round and round like a desperate vulture, looking for a parking space..... I'm seeing so many empty parking spaces that I have to make tough decisions like, "Should I choose the parking space nearest to the door? Or should I should park at the one further but under the tree shade? Hmmm...."

While you are out there are having to queue up and kiasu-ly fight over a free table in a chaotically full restaurant..... I'm at a calm nice restaurant being served immediately.

While you are out there sitting among screaming children and extremely loud relatives, so loud that no matter how much you turn up the TV volume, you'll still have to read the subtitles..... I'm enjoying the peace of the super quiet office where the sounds of the typing on keyboard and the humming of my machine are like music to my ears.

Other reasons why I'm glad I'm at work.

  1. To the hubby, CNY means eating unhealthy food and drinking sugar-water (can and box drinks) the whole entire day. Give him plain water and he'll say, "Dowan... no taste". And I, who is too lazy to get my own water, ends up drinking sugar water as well which never quenches my thirst. By the 3rd day of CNY, I gave up and got up to get plain drinking water.
  2. No more chaotic reunions. Peace and quiet. But I have to say CNY this year is a lot more better. I only received one "when are you going to have a baby?" question, a large improvement from last year when I received multiple, "You gained weight la, are you pregnant?" questions. In fact this year, I received a, "Ah How, lu eh bor sui loh" (You hear that, hubby? Somebody said your wife is pretty AH!!). I knew aerobics for the past one year would pay off. ;)
  3. Now that I'm back to my old routine, it means I'm back to eating my apple in the morning, my brown rice for meals, and my vitamins at night. No more unhealthy sweet stuff, no more rubbish, no more skipping main meals because of losing my appetite due to excess sugar water. (I was damn constipated for the past few days because of all the junk I was feeding my poor body)
  4. And seriously, the weather is really WTF-ly hot lately. It's the only time you'll see me sprinting 10 feet in front of Yin How, mumbling "it's HOT, it's HOT, it's HOT". The moment I get out of the car, it's a mad dash to walk towards the shelter. 
Anyway, I was feeling very happy to be back until I sat in my cubicle and the boss who has one and only engineer left in office, took out his machine gun and starting shooting SPRs at me at full blast. 

Oh well... SPRs or chaotic CNY??? I'm thinking SPRs...

:)

6 comments:

Pig said...

I'm widdyu!!! Eventho my boss is not around..I'm back from lunch on time!! Call me a goody pig! :D I'm proud of myself.

For half the same reasons as you... I'm just so glad to be back at office...minus the work! :D I preach teamwork. I adore team spirit. Thus, I wait till everyone is back together gether then I'll work :D

Ian-with-the-machine-gun said...

Consolation: my machine gun shot SPRs at a few people other than Mindy. :)So, Mindy wasn't being singled out specially.

cylooi said...

Ar... you made the right choice!! it is just crazy out there (&hot too!)...

I am back to work as well!!
Finally it is peace and quiet, back to my usual routine :)

Mindy said...

I followed what Dr. Oz says wor... Half tablet in the morning, another half in the evening. My evening is at night already, since by the time I go home it's already late.

Andhari said...

happy belated CNY. I always love the food! But I get the pleasure of starting the "healthier" life back lol sugar makes me feel bloated.

Mindy said...

Dr. Oz is more focused on health. Anyway I'm taking full tablets in the morning now. Too lazy to cut them into half cos I always forget either the morning or the evening one.