Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Love

(This is a post I actually wrote a long time ago but I didn't publish and forgot about it until I stumbled over it today.)

A few days ago, I was telling Yin How about all the crushes I had since I was a kid. I think my first crush was when I was in Standard 2 (yes, I started young). I had this crush on my class mate. 2nd crush was on a childhood friend. 3rd crush was when I was in Form 3 on a guy in tuition classes. 4th crush was in Form 4 on a guy from church.

I stopped there. Yin How looked at me waiting and said, “Then?”.
I replied, “Then what? Oh…… no, I never had a crush on you.”

Hehehehehe… (his ego was a bit deflated for a while).

Yin How was my first and only boyfriend. He chased me so I never had an initial crush on him. At that time, at 18 years old, it was really literally, "I like you, be my wife" (I repeat, wife). So simple right? At that time, excited about having my first boyfriend, I thought, “Aiyah… just try try only la, there’s nothing to lose what”…

And because he was there since the beginning, he was always a part in whatever plans I had. We grew up together, graduated from college together, found our first jobs together, put our salaries into one account, bought our first car together, bought our first home together. And then 7 years later I did marry him. And even now, I’m amaze how much I can love a person for so long. I love him even more now than then.

But as simple as things can be, the actual fact is that it's amazing that two people who are biologically so different can live together for the rest of their lives. Men and women were just made to function and think differently. So it does really take A LOT of work and effort in a relationship. But of course, if you both love each other, no amount of work is too hard. And the amount of happiness you’ll gain make is all so worth it.

I have friends who are looking for the love of their live. I have friends with complicated relationships. I have friends who are nervous about getting married.

It all can very simple. He loves you. You love him. He can’t live without you. You can’t live without him. If you have a problem with your partner, compare that problem with the thought of a life without him. See which is worst and you'll get your answer.

Also, he must love you back in return. One-sided love is not a real relationship, it’s a relationship of seeing the things you want to see, and being blind to what you don’t want to see. How long how a relationship like that last? For the rest of your life? Maybe for you, but will he commit to that for the rest of his life as well?

Fairytale romance will not last forever. Sentimental ideas will not last forever. The magical moments portrayed in movies will not last forever. What will last is the reality of waking up every morning, seeing your husband wearing his ugliest shabby pajamas, face unshaven, morning breath so foul that it will send the dogs sneezing and jumping off the bed.

Despite all of that, in your eyes you’ll think he’s still all so sexy in the morning and you'll love him a little more each day.

(Minus the morning breath, of course. That one, really can die wan okay).

11 comments:

chiaoju said...

shu-yin said just the other day that i believe in fairytale romance. perhaps she didn't know that my definition of fairytale romance is that last phrase in every fairytale -- "...and they live happily ever after (forever).

i don't believe that life is always and will be a bed of roses. and i don't believe in finding that so-to-speak perfect guy coz there's no such person. but there will be this imperfect person whom u'll love for the longest time and till the day i die (or he dies). that i believe.

it's great to know someone who's really happy in a r'ship. gives me hope that there is still such a thing called love.

;) happy valentine's day and happy chinese new year in advance!

Mindy said...

I'm sure you'll find the love of your life one day. And he will be worth the wait. ;)

Happy valentine's and CNY to you too!~

Tan Shu-Yin said...

mindy...yeayea...the morning breath can die wan. hehe.

im happy for u n yh too. and yes, it takes A LOT of hardwork and effort on both sides to make a r'ship work.

Mindy said...

Hehe.. i'm happy for your little family of 3 as well. :)

All those romance movies where they kiss each other in the morning, all tipu wan. Nobody will kiss each with morning breath!

Soo Huey said...

hmm..... i'm not married or going out with anyone atm, but i sure remember long involved kisses in the morning.. and they weren't so bad, although i did psychologically prefer to have brushed teeth first.

maybe from now on i should look for people who have bad breath in the morning. it seemed to work for both of u n the princess in Shrek... lol!

cylooi said...

I guess I am in the category of "friends who are looking for the love of their life". Hope somthing will drop from the sky during Valentine! :P
Happy CNY and Valentines day to you and Yin How :)

Mindy said...

Looi, you need to work hard and look for you love. It won't just fall out from the sky. ;)

Soo Huey said...

i do understand what u mean by longterm relationships not necessarily being as passionate as newer ones. (i've been in one myself ;)) but "boring married couple" can also be passionate sometimes mah! long kisses in the morning are always good to have! :P

Soo Huey said...

ahh... yes, especially when u've been waiting the whole night b4 watching shirtless hubby dusting shelves! xP

MY Public Mutual Experience said...

Hahahaha. When it comes to Min, household chores work better than foreplay.

Mindy said...

Haha, there's a explanation of it wan... To me, a man who has no problem doing chores is a man who sees a woman as an equal. He doesn't expect the woman to do all the chores just because she's a woman. And that is a very attractive character to me. ;)