Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

It's that time of the year when I need to rant

The long weekend is coming and usually by this time and I'll be too happy jumping up and down, constantly checking the time shown at the bottom right corner of my monitor, silently counting down to 5:15pm.

However, it's not happening for this long weekend. I honestly tried to avoid writing this post but today when everybody is extra cheerful about the holidays, I'm feeling more alien then usual.

I can't help it. I need to say it again.

I HATE Chinese New Year.

There, I said it.

Try to think about this, CNY is all about family reunions right? Happy happy family reunions. Now imagine if I take that away from you. Let's just say since you were young tender mentally developing child, you grew up celebrating CNY with a lot of crying and a lot of fighting and a lot of isolation among a crowd of people. Let's say that since you were little, if you said something wrong in front of your relatives, you can expect to be punished when you come home therefore you learn that it's best to keep quiet in front of relatives and keep a distance from them. Let's say during CNY, you have to put on a fake smile in front of everybody, then go home and listen to doors slamming and lots of spiteful arguing. Let's say that's how you known CNY all your life.

Would you still enjoy CNY?

Boohoo. So what? Quit whinning. Life goes on.

Still, each year during this time, as long as I remember, I had to go through a difficult time. Only recently I stopped having to deal with the crap. But still, it's the time when I turn into the boogie monster. It's the time when my suppressed Naruto nine tail fox demon comes roaring out.

I remember once after a particularly bad CNY, somebody at work asked me how my CNY went, and I burst into tears. The poor fellow was in shock and must have been thinking, "What the hell did I say wrong?". Next thought was probably, "Slowly step away from the emotionally unstable girl" :P

So, dearest hubby, I'm sorry that your wife has CNY phobia and permanent psychological CNY damage. If it were up to me, my ideal CNY would be flying off to a non-chinese country and coming back after Chap Goh Meh.

However, I understand CNY is an important time for the hubby. I will never ever like CNY, but I shall take a deep breath and try my best-est of my best-est to do whatever I have to do for CNY (minus the obsession to keep the place spotless in time for CNY when I'm already darn tired coming home from work, my psychologically damaged brain just cannot understand the logic of why the place has to be so damn clean for CNY, and left dirty for the next 364 days. No matter how much you clean, doggies will dirty it the next day. You can never ever win against the force of the dirty doggies.).

Sigh.

The hubby just called me at work to go home and help him clean the house again. Obsessed, I tell you, he's obsessed. But can't complain, since he's doing most of the work. ;)

Sigh.

Now I just need to control my boogie monster and my Naruto nine tail fox demon, which knowing that it's this time of the year, have dropped by to say Hi.

Sigh.

Think of happy thoughts, happy happy thoughts. Think of Bali... yes Bali. Bali Bali oh Bali...

5 comments:

Genny said...

oooh wat Bali? are there gonna be bali products? =p the one i'm bugging you bout.. kekeke...

yup, i totally feel you in this matter. Don't worry, even in a happy world with happy CNY abalone-eating families rolling in mountains of angpau, there will always be ur lil sister who understands perfectly well what we went through.

My resolution this year is to have a quiet CNY and not be a wet blanket to my campus friends who area all so excited to go back to their hometowns for CNY~

We will survive this period! Be strong, big sis! *semangat* =p

Mindy said...

Pig, I would rather be working than celebrating CNY. :P

When one person says they totally understand another person's ranting, IT HELPS A LOT! Means I'm not the one and only one with the CNY boogie monster to deal with!

THANKS A LOT!!~~

And I no matter how much I love the hubby, I shall never ever love CNY. CNY is like going into a battlefield of relatives and pantangs which don't make sense to me and coming out a survivor. It's something I can never feel part of or understand.

I shall be strong! I can do it, I can do it :P

Mindy said...

Maybe it's something about our family that makes CNY turn sour. All the fake smiles and fake laughter.

I'm still going to visit the grandparents, but much later... maybe on the 4th day when the coast is clear from all other relatives. ;)

nUtZ said...

lol.. great idea! tell me about it. It is filled with relies that you see once a year and it felt so awkward sitting there silently.

Anyway hope you have a good and quiet CNY! Do drop me an email and we can catch up when i do go back to pg (say in 2 years time.. ;) )

Mindy said...

Oh my CNY is far from quiet with my screaming newphews running around (from Yin How's side). But it's a different atmosphere compare to our family. It's... real. :)

However, I'm still envious that you get to run off to another country and only come back a few times in a decade. How I wish... :P

Yea, drop me an email when you come back and we can catch up. :)