Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Ayam Masak Merah

I cooked Ayam Masak Merah last week. Try this only if you have a food processor because there are a lot of ingredients to chop. I chopped everything myself and it's a lot of work! I think I spent an hour just preparing all the ingredients. Then imagine having to clean up all the mess after that.

Overall, a yummy recipe. Yin How gave it a Ho Chiak rating. :)

http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=1833

Ingredients
1 kg chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 onions, quartered
3 potatoes, cut into wedges
2 tomatoes, quartered
1 small can tomato paste
150ml water
4cm piece cinnamon stick
4 cloves
1 star anise
3–4 tbsp oil

Ground spices (A):
10 shallots
4 cloves garlic
12 red chillies, seeded
3cm ginger
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder

Seasoning (B):
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tbsp sugar or to taste

Method
Heat oil until hot, sauté ground spices (A) until fragrant. Add in cinnamon stick, cloves and star anise. Fry for 1–2 minutes. Add onions, tomato paste and potatoes. Stir-fry well. Mix in water and tomatoes. Cook until mixture starts to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender and gravy turns thick. Add seasoning to taste and serve this mildly spiced curry dish with bread slices or with plain rice.

3 comments:

Genny said...

eh, eh, i wasn't around when you cooked this ah? don't remember this ayam dish. yes, we shall conquer the malay cuisine too, i see great food ahead of us in the future~ ^^

Jasmine said...

Min, I say you cook when we meet the next time. Which is in a couple of weeks. :) I'm sure Mun will agree with me.

Mindy said...

LOL... why don't we cook together... so that if the food is not so nice, you won't blame it entirely on me. :P