Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Live without TV? No can do...

Today I was discussing with WY and QF which is more important, TV or the internet. I can’t live without both, but if I had to choose between one of them, it would be the TV. I cannot live without a TV. I need to the turn on the TV after work to just watch whatever is playing without having to think much about it.

After working the whole day, coming home to cook dinner, then cleaning the place after the dogs, I just want to slug in front of the TV with the only effort of having to press the button on the remote control to switch between channels. I don’t even like to watch DVDs because that involves having to choose what to watch, then putting it into the DVD player.

When I first moved to KL to study, I bought my own TV on the first day. TV had a higher priority than having a fridge and a washing machine (though I bought a washing machine a few days later after having to hand wash all my clothes for the first time). And there was once when I was already working, my TV broke down on a Sunday night, and I was so devastated I burst into tears. Mun Yi laughed her head off when she heard this because it just sounds so ridiculous (I laughed over it too, because it made a funny story at that time :P).

Actually, after thinking about this for a while, I’ve come to realize why the TV is so important to me. When I was still staying with my parents, during the last few years my home then used to be a very cold and quiet place. The whole place was literally empty except for the bedrooms. My parents and I would hide in our own bedrooms behind closed doors avoiding each other. Sometimes I wouldn't see my parents for days even though we were staying in the same place.

I would go home late after work, entering a dark empty living room before going into my room. The feeling was worst than actually living alone in the apartment. It's one thing to live like that with housemates, but it's another thing if they are your own parents. I had a TV in my room so when I came home from work, I used to leave it on the whole time until I go to sleep so that at least there was still the sound of voices so that I would feel normal in an abnormal home…

Anyway, enough of my sad miserable stories of the past…. Sometimes I just like to analyze how some part of my character today was actually shaped by something that happened in the past (I know I have been shaped a lot by the past). I still sometimes like to leave the TV on, even though I have 2 noisy mad dogs running around and a hubby who likes to pick up a fight with my little sister just to annoy her.

I no longer think my home is quiet anymore but I still can't live without a TV. :)

2 comments:

Cy said...

Totally agree... I couldn't get off the addiction of cable tv when I came back Malaysia. I used to have either cartoon network, MTV or VH1 running 24/7... :)

Talking about being green

Genny said...

oh boy... i rmb those miserable holocaust times.. =p haha, ok, maybe not that dramatic hehe.. i think we will forever be traumatised in some kinda tragic childhood way =p Dr.Phil would run away from us!! ^.^ you know, i still find it very hard when auntie jen and uncle ninian are so kind to me.. i still tiptoe and sneak around when i take stuff out of their fridge even though they always ask me to help myself.. there was once i took some soy milk from their fridge and when i heard their voices i instinctively hid behind the wall in panic with the glass soy milk in my hand... and then i suddenly realised "What am I doing??" @_@ i am sooooo writing a book of jokes about this~ haha..
how are the doggies? I miss them~~~ feeling dogsick =)