Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mash Potato recipe

I've got a recipe request from WY.


Hi Mindy
I am thinking of trying out mashed potato this weekend. And that reminds me of your mashed potato… I love yours very very much, do you mind sharing the recipe with me…? *evil grin*
Or, you can share it in your blog as well
wying



Hehe, first time somebody has requested me to share a recipe. Below is roughly the one I used. I actually didn't refer to the recipe, my sister taught me how to make it so I just followed her instructions.

I didn't add in the beef stock granules and mustard into my gravy. And when you make the gravy, it will look very pale so a trick is to add a few drops of thick black soy sause just to give it the color.

If you want the mash pototos to be really creamy, be generous when adding the butter and milk to it. Because I didn't rely on the recipe, I kept tasting the mash potato and the gravy as I made it to check whether I needed to add more milk, butter, or chicken stock.

Just talking about mash pototoes makes me wanna eat it... I think I'll make myself some this weekend as well. :)


http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=2229

Ingredients
800g potatoes, unpeeled
40g butter
100ml hot milk
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of salt and dash of pepper to taste

Gravy for the mashed potatoes
30g butter
30g plain flour
300–320ml fresh chicken stock
1 tbsp beef stock granules
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp prepared mustard

Method
Put potatoes in a large pan. Add enough water to cover and add in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 25–30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and leave aside to cool.

Peel the potatoes then put them into a pan. Add butter and heat over a low fire. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until smooth in texture.

Gradually pour in the hot milk and beat until mixture turns creamy without any lumps. Add in a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper to taste.

To prepare the gravy, heat butter in a non-stick pan. Stir in the flour and allow the roux to brown gradually over a very low heat. Stir constantly to prevent the roux from burning. (It will become like a doughy texture, so be careful not to let it burn. Just keep adding a little butter, then flour, then stir, then butter, then flour, then stir...)

Blend in the stock and allow to boil. (To make the stock, just add 1 tablespoon of the liquid chicken stock into one cup of water. I added the stock bit by bit into the doughy texture, stirring it first until it thickens, the adding more stock. Once you add in the stock, don't try to add it more flour to thicken it, else it will turn lumpy. Just let it boil and it will thicken eventually. Make sure you use a very low heat).

Add salt and pepper to taste and beef stock granules and mustard. Cook until the mixture turns thick and smooth.Serve the gravy with the mashed potato.

2 comments:

jeanne said...

Wow... That's quick. Thanks Mindy! =P
I'm starving~~

Genny said...

haha.. i still remember i was going a bit crazy because my math exam was the next day. and my head was full of formulas and i was having panic attacks.. and suddenly i receive a call from my dear sister asking me how to make mashed potatoes =)haha~ and i remember my horror when you wanted to mash the potatoes with the skin on.. hey, but actually one of my friends experimented with it, and it actually tastes kinda nice to mash it with the skin (but have to wash the skin until super clean la)