Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Home

I am so sleepy. I came home late from work yesterday to an annoyed hubby who was waiting for me for dinner. But the annoyed hubby didn't complain because the annoyed hubby is a nice hubby.

At night I forced myself to stay awake because I wanted to watch Home, the film about Earth. The first 10 minutes was boring, but the rest of the film was eye opening. If you haven't watched it, you really should. When I watched it, it reminded me all those civilation stragety games I used to play where the people look like little ants. Except that this is all real.

Some people don't care about going green at all. Some people blogged that Earth Hour was for idiots. Some people used Earth Hour as an excuse to countdown to a street party.

But whatever you think about it, it doesn't change the fact about what's happening to our earth.

People don't care because they are living in ignorance or couldn't be bothered or they feel that they wouldn't make much difference. But using that as an excuse doesn't make it right. When I saw Ian bring his own carrier to the restaurant to takeaway food to avoid using plastic bags, I was inspired. When I saw Mun Yi make a stop at a petrol station to throw her trash into the recyling bins, I was inspired. So you'll never know who you are inspiring by just doing your own little part.

Anyway, I babbled so much about the film to Yin How the next day. And he's now inspired to do his part. I'm not planning to turn into a green freak, but at least now I think twice before I throw stuff straight into the bin and I try to remember bring my big green bag when I do grocery shopping.

It just feels good doing a teeny weeny part for earth.

2 comments:

LK said...

Totally agree that we should do our part for Earth.
I stayed up to watch Home too. It's beautiful.
I like the way the documentary is rolled out. Starts with the bad effects and then towards the end, it says that 4 out of 5 humans have access to education and that is how we can still make changes to the Earth. Nice. Glad to know we still have hope.

Mindy said...

Yea, the end of the film gave me goosebumps. :)